Search This Blog

Monday, June 1, 2015

(May 18, 2015) Hermana shares a refining experience, leaves Chepica and leaves Sister Hulick. Lots of pictures included.


This week has flown by entirely too fast, but then again thats pretty much how every week in the mission is! 
I just want to share a quick story about something Ive really learned this week. We have been working really hard to try and find new investigators, and in knowing who to help the ones that we have now progress, specifically Rosa who has a fecha for the 6th of June. 
As a mission, we received the desafio to read the Book of Mormon all the way through, and one day I was continuing my reading in Alma 8. This is one of the go to chapters when people talk about missionary work. But the part that really stuck out to me more than any other part, and unlike it ever had before. In verse 10 it says that Alma fervently prayed that the lord would shed His spirit upon the people in Ammoniah.  I thought more on that scripture, and that night for the first time prayed specifically for the spirit to be upon the el pueblito de Chepica. 
The next morning, Hermana Hulick and I prepared for the day as usual and then went out to work. We had been contacting in a poblacion when we remembered a futura that had said we could pass by that lived close by.  We went and she was home. She warmly greeted us, and after a few minutes small talking it up, we asked if we could pass and she let us in. We talked to her some more, and got to know a bit about her story. Towards the end, she started saying "I'm going to be honest with you, Im catholic...." and usually when people start that way it's because they are about to kick you out of their house, but she continued. "Im catholic, and I never ever let missionaries pass by my house, jehovah witnesses, evangelicos, mormones lo que sea........but when you passed by, something told me and I felt that I just had to let you in". We asked her what she thought it was that told her that, and she responded that it was God and that He was telling her to listen to our message. We talked a little bit more about the Holy Ghost and  because we were pressed for time to go to another cita we testified of the holy ghost, prayed, and set an appointment to return the following day. I can't even begin to explain to you the excitement we felt riding away!!!!!!!! :) : ):) 
The next day came, and we prepared again this time by reading in Alma 18 and the chapter in PME about the Book of Mormon since we both felt we should share that with her. She wants to know our message, and the Book of Mormon is the keystone of it. When she comes to know that that's true, she will be able to know of a surety that this is the restored gospel. We got to her house, and after starting she told us about this peace and tranquilidad she had felt the day before with us that she had never felt before in her life at any other place, and that she hungered and longed to have that feeling with her again. We told her of our purpose as missionaries and testified that the things as we share our message and as she acts according to her faith to see if it's true, she will be able to have this feeling more through the power of Holy Ghost as it testifies of its truthfulness. We then talked about the Book of Mormon and she shared some more things with us. At the end as we committed her to read it, I made some comment based off things she said earlier that she likes to learn and to read. She quickly said "I like to learn, but I DO NOT like to read; but I feel I NEED to read this book and I have to read all of it". I really wish I could share more of what happened but there's just not enough time. 
I realized that morning in our studies in Alma 18, that in the next chapter it says in one of the verses no me recuerdo which, that ALma saw that the Lord had shed His spirit upon the pueblo according to Almas prayers, and I can testify that this is not merely a good story in the book of Mormon, sino something that ACTUALLY happpens in our days and that has the ability to change our lives now. In my time in the mission, I have never been in a lesson where the new investigator was SO sensitive to the promptings and fruits of the spirit and had such desires to act. This was a huge testimony builder to me that the Lord is in the interworkings of our lives, and that He is shedding His spirit upon those to receive His message, and then when we sincerely desire to find them, He will lead us to them :) It's been a huge trial of faith in Chepica, but I now have an UNYIELDING testimony that not only is He there, but He is my faithful friend. This has been an eventful week in the growth of my testimony, and in participating in this beautiful work here in Chile :)

It was also my last week in Chepica. We received cambios on Saturday and Hermana Hulick is staying here, and Im off to Tupauhue (basically Rancagua and about 30 min away from Machali) in a sector called Villa El Sol.
I hit the lowest points of my life in this sector, but through this fire of afflicion I have been able to learn for myself the miracles of the atonement, and have received a sure knowledge of the reality of Jesus Christ and my Heavenly Father. 


I am heartbroken to leave mi compañera, but it's okay because I know that she is going to do amazingly well here. She knows the sector, is getting a great companion, and is armed with a burning testimony and desire to bring others to Christ :) I love you and can't wait to hear from you next week!!!! :) 




On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Dominique Temple <dominique.temple@myldsmail.net> wrote:
I would send a normal picture when we are all jumping in the air and smiling, but we just couldn't make it happen after 10 attempts :p I have learned so much from the hermanas here in Santa Cruz, and am so lucky to have had the chance to get to know them :))) Para siempre Dios este con vos :)




This empanada shack makes THE BEST empanadas de horno I have ever had in Chile and they only cost 500 pesos (75ish cents). We bought empanadas de pino every saturday as we waited for the bus to visit Hermana Lucia. 



La capilla in Chepica :) 


I love you and can't wait to hear from you next week!!!! :) 

Hermana Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment